We invite everyone to SHARE this post and SIGN THE PETITION, our future is at stake. There is a need to solve the water crisis in Metro Manila but solving this at the expense of the greater good and many other things which will create greater destruction is not the right way to do it.
We support the petition and call of the “STOP Kaliwa Dam Network” in finding a new solution to the shortage and STOP KALIWA DAM!
Para sa Kalikasan,
Green Philippines – Aksyon Kalikasan
The Kaliwa Dam Project violates legal processes and the Philippine constitution, is destructive to the environment, and is against the country’s national interest.
With the increasing demand for water supply in Metro Manila, costly options appear to seemingly solve this concern. In fact, the recent “water crisis” was used to expedite and justify the New Centennial Water Source-Kaliwa Dam Project as the solution to such.
We stand against the Kaliwa Dam Project because this project:
- will affect the ancestral domains where 5,000 Dumagat-Remontados are situated;
- is being expedited by the railroading of its legal process, particularly the right of the Dumagat-Remontados to Free, Prior, and Informed Consent process under IPRA;
- will destroy the biodiversity and habitat of 126 species in 300 hectares of the Sierra Madre and endanger 100,000 residents downstream with the risk of massive flooding;
- will entail an unnecessary 10.37 billion-peso loan from China, further worsening our debt-ridden economy;
- will need every Filipino, including those outside Metro Manila, to shoulder the debt;
- faces a short lifespan of 5-6 years due to the high rate of sedimentation in the area;
- allows China to settle disputes on the project using their laws and on their territory;
- may cause our government to surrender Philippine territory to pay off the loan.